Friday, March 7, 2014

6 Days till Departure

Hey everybody, I just wanted to give y'all a quick update on how preparations are going.

As you can tell there are only 6 days until I leave the civilized world for a good half year. I couldn't be anymore excited. I haven't slept good in days due to anxiety of just wanting to be out on the trail. I usually spend my nights reading the forums on whiteblaze trying to remember every last piece of gear I need down to the bristles of my toothbrush...(not really) However I did go shopping for my first 4 days of food and it was quite successful. I had a budget of $25 and spent $24.67, so that's good news.

Okay after I read what I wrote above, I relized it was really boring so I'll just tell you a little about how I'm feeling.

 So last night I was looking at  a very detailed map of the trail and that's when it hit me... I thought to myself I'm going to be walking over 2000 miles, over 5 million steps, from Georgia to FREAKING MAINE. Call me crazy, which I probably am, but that is a long ass way. Then the nervousness set in. I started freaking out feeling as if my entire years worth of preparation went down the drain. I kept asking myself what if this happens and what if that happens? What if I slip a and fall down the side of a mountain and plummet to my death? These are just some of the things I was thinking about. Trust me there was gazillion more questions I was asking myself. On another note, yesterday was also a sad day for me. Yesterday I surfed for the last time for half a year... If you know me I love surfing its my passion. Anytime there are waves here on the gulf coast of Florida you can count on me to be out in the water. Lets just hope hiking for half a year keeps me sane like surfing does..

Well as you can tell, or if you can't my emotions are at an all time high. I am exited, anxious, nervous, scared, and so much more that I can't even describe. I am glad I feel this way because it is healthy and who wouldn't feel that way if you were going to live tin the mountains for half a year. All I can really say is I mostly feel READY.



Happy Trails!!!

Lucas Varnadore


1 comment:

  1. Hey buddy, said a prayer for ya hope all is going well. Ps ile catch a few for ya tomorrow morning. Ohh and if I had to guess I would say your first few nights were fairly wet. Just remember it won't be raining the whole time and dry socks are your best friend.

    Happy trails.
    Saxdaddy.

    ReplyDelete