Tuesday, March 18, 2014

3/14-3/18 Springer Mtn to Neel Gap

3/15 I woke up around 9:30am and ate way too much food. I walked up springer mtn the southern terminus and finally started on the trail officially!! Next I met my mom at the parking lot so I could get my stove fuel that I left in the car. I walked all the way to Hawk Mtn Shelter and stayed the night there.

3/16 It rained all night last night... I ended up leaving the shelter at 10am. It rained all day and sucked. My final destination was Gooch Mtn Shelter. There were about 50 people camping that night.
 
       View from the Gooch Mtn Shelter

3/17 Today I woke up late and it was still raining. Like the day before it rained all day. When I got to Woody Gap I ran into trail magic!! Trail magic is when people hand out food to hikers. Later on I heard there was more trail magic at Henry Gap. When I arrived I found out it was just a house so me and a couple buddies just set up our hammocks in the front yard. 


3/18 I woke up this morning and it was still raining... I packed up my stuff and moved on to Blood Mtn(where I hurt my knee bad last May). As I climbed down Blood Mtn I arrived at an oasis that was much needed. Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap. First thing I did was get a room for the hostel there. Then I got a pizza that was heavenly after eating nothing it ramen noodles and oatmeal for my major meals. I took a shower and washed my clothes and I'm ready to hit the trail tomorrow!!
                   Blood Mtn shelter
                View from Blood Mtn

                          My pizza




On that not let me tell you how much it sucks to hike up and down mountains in the rain. First of all you are wet and cold no matter how much waterproof clothes you have. Second everything is muddy and you get so filthy and nasty. The worst is how slippery everything is. When you are walking down the mountain you slip and slide down like 5 feet of trail and try not to fall off the steep drop to the side. This just doesn't happen once a day either, it happens about every other step..

Well even with all the rain I am having a great time. I'm meeting some awesome people and life is just good. I couldn't be more excited to move on and see the rest!!!


Happy Trails!!!!

Lucas Varnadore 

4 comments:

  1. Way to go Lucas! makes me want to hike it too! Love, Gram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your doing ok the pictures are great be safe and careful not to hurt your self. Love dad and Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucas, your grandmother, Mary, sent me an email today telling me about you. Congratulations, all my life I have wanted to hike the trail but was never able to do it. I did do a lot of hiking in the Rockies, but the Trail was my real goal. I was Bishop of Pennsacola-Tallahassee from 1975 until 1983 and got to know your family very well. I will be following your hike frequently in the days and weeks ahead. You are in my prayers for a safe and spiritually rewarding hike! +RHG

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing journey you are having. I will pray for your safety. May St. Joseph protect and lead you today on his special feast day today. He led Jesus and Mary to Bethlehem and then in and out of Eygpt. He is a good man to think of today.

    ReplyDelete