Friday, May 30, 2014

4/20-4/24 Hot Springs,NC to Erwin,TN

4/20 I camped out along the French Broad River last night, just outside of town. I went back into town this morning to get me a fresh resupply of food so I can finally get out of this town. Now don't get me wrong Hot Springs is a great town, it's just that I didn't have such a great time here due to my financial struggles of losing my debit card. I finally got back on the trail and hiked 11 miles to Spring Mountain Shelter. During my hike I met some fellows that went by the name of Mud and Neck Bone. They were extremely cool dudes and it was a great day hiking with them, especially because it was probably the hottest day on the trail yet. About halfway through the day I came across Rich Mountain Fire tower. There was some pretty awesome views from the top which helped make my first day back on trail a spectacular one!!

Rich Mountain Fire Tower

View from the fire tower




4/21 I got a nice early start on the day. My destination for the night is Jerry's Cabin Shelter. It's such a beautiful day out. The highlight of today was without a doubt the exposed ridge line that lasted for about 5 miles! Also today is my Dad's Birthday, although I had cell service I wasn't able to talk to him to wish him a Happy Birthday!



4/22 As usual I am one of the last to leave in the shelter in the morning. I hiked on a bit until I came across Flint Mountain Shelter. Here I had lunch and took a quite enjoyable nap. After leaving, I shortly came across Devils Fork Gap. There was a hiker here that goes by the name of Bear who was trying to find a hitch into Erwin, Tn due  to a hurt knee. It is always a sad moment on the trail when someone has to get off the trail for a couple of days due to an injury. I have experienced this and I know what it's like. It just flat out sucks.No one wants to end their hike because of an injury. I hiked on some more until I made it to Hogback Ridge Shelter. When I arrived I was thrilled to see that I had caught up with El Borrego!!! With another 15 mile day in the books I feel as if I'm starting to hit a stride. Hiking longer miles is getting easier and easier.



4/23 Borrego and I woke up super late and didn't get on the trail until about noon.We hiked to Sams Gap 2.5 miles away and ran into some trail magic! Now this just wasn't some ordinary trail magic, this was trail magic with grilled chicken, barbecue beans, chips, sodas, Gatorade, beer, some sort of veggies, and tons of other stuff. The great thing about this trail magic was that everyone who stayed at the shelter we were at last night missed it because they got up and started hiking to early. Laziness for once has paid off in my case. After stuffing ourselves we trudged up Big Bald and made it to Big Bald Shelter for the night.
The wonderful Trail Magic at Sams Gap

The trail heading up Big Bald

View From Big Blad

4/24 Borrego and I woke up early today, for we planned on pushing 16 miles to Erwin, Tn. Everything went as planned and we arrived in town around 4 pm. We teamed up with Easy Rider and Snickers and got a room at the Mountain Inn. We got checked in and all 4 of us decided to go to the AYCE KFC buffet. We called up the most infamous trail angel on the trail, Miss Janet, and she took us to the KFC. I ate about the equivalent amount of 2 whole chickens, a bunch of veggies, and 2 slices of cake. When we finished eating Miss Janet picked us back up and took us to Walmart to resupply. She took us back to our hotel room where I watched the Yankees smash the Red Sox  12-5, so it was a great night!

Miss Janet's Van

Miss Janet 


Thank you everyone for bearing with me. It has been awhile since I've updated due to being so busy pushing miles and just having a great time. Don't worry  there is plenty more to come!!



Happy Trails!!!

Lucas "Smokie" Varnadore

1 comment: