Saturday, April 5, 2014

3/28-4/4 Franklin, North Carolina to Fontana Dam

3/28 Today has probably been the most boring on the trail yet. My buddy Tom and I had breakfast at the hotel we stayed at and then called someone up to give us a ride to the outfitter. Once we got there we decided to just get back of the trail today. A hiker named Swashbuckler called up someone and we all got a ride back to Winding Stair Gap. We hiked to the next shelter in the rain and stayed there.
       A tree at the shelter we stayed at 

3/29 I woke up late today and got on the trail around noon. The plan was to go 12 miles to the 2nd shelter, but uf had been pouring all day. I stoped at the first shelter to try and dry out.

3/30 I woke up to snow.... No forecast said we would have snow. I stayed at the shelter until noon. Tom and I took our time hiking and we came accross Rocky Bald and Weser Bald Firetower. The both had breathtaking views. We arrived at the shelter at about 5pm. I was planning on camping, but as I got there the shelter was empty. This was quite unusual, the shelters are always full. I stayed in the shelter tonight.
              Wesser Bald Firetower 
      Tom walking down from the tower

3/31 Today I headed for the Nantahala Outdoor Center. The hike was downhi 3000ft over 6 miles. I thought it was gonna be a piece of cake.... I was wrong. First of all my other knee was hurting me like crazy and my pinky toe was super infected. To say it lightly I barely made it to the NOC in one piece. I finally arrived and checked in at the hostel. That night I went to the Rivers End Resteraunt with Tom and Morning Wood. We each had a heavenly 16in pizza.
        Jump off view on the way down

4/1 After a lot of thinking last night I seceded to take my first day off. I had a come to Jesus moment and realized if I don't start taking better care of myself, there is no way I am going to make in to Katahdin. First thing I did was book another stay at the hostel. I decided to just relax today. I did tons of stretching and took a dip in the Nantahala river. I had a burger at Rivers End with Blazig Sandles, Jahmonji, Hampster, and Redwood. Later that night I went back to Rivers End and had another pizza. They turned on the Yankee game for me even though it started right when they closed. I stayed until I got kicked out, but they left the tv on so I could watch outside.
                             NOC 
                           Pizza!!

           Watching the game outside

4/2 After almost 2 days at the NOC I finally got back on the trail. It was a tough climb out. My goal for the day was Cheoah Bald. As I got there, I realized there was no water source so I walked to miles down to the next gap.

                     Cheoah Bald

4/3 I got a late start around 10am. Last night I decided to just push all the way to Fontana Dam,18 miles away. It was a grueling 18 miles and by the time I reached the Fontana Hilton Shelter I was ready to pass out.. But I didn't. This shelter is one of the biggest party shelters on the trail. I didn't go to bed until about 1am. Hiker midnight is like 830pm...

                      Hiker trash 

4/4 I took another zero day. I had to much chores to do, suck as get my smokies permit, resupply, and do laundry. I had breakfast at the Fontana Resort and it was by far the best on the trail yet. Later on 2 fellow hikers Ramone and Turtle asked if I wanted to crash at their room at the resort. I did not pass that up.

So... The Great Smokie Mountains. I haven't been to this national park in a long time. I'm so excited to take it on. It is one of the most scenic parts of the trail And I'm ready for it!!!


Happy Trails!!!

Lucas "Smokie" Varnadore

1 comment:

  1. Haha..I can't believe you stayed outside and watched the game..wait a minute. . Yes I can! Love you son..

    ReplyDelete